Monday, July 14, 2014

The Winter Gardens up close

If you've been following this blog for a while, you'll know I've been experimenting with macro photography for a while (see previous posts here, here and here.) I have used the 'reverse your lens' trick up until now but because I have a 18-135mm lens it proved incredibly difficult (and sometimes frustrating) to focus properly. And since I'm not in a position to be able to invest in a proper macro lens at the moment, I started looking at an alternative and discovered a wide angle and macro lens adapter*.

Winter Gardens_7.7.14Winter Gardens_7.7.14
Winter Gardens_7.7.14 

There is however a big trade off for using an adapter. Because it is screwed onto the end of your lens, you will always have some degree of a black halo around the image which is the inside of the adapter. And while I think the halo can work, it limits the composition and style of the photo. If I am to crop the halo out, I end up with an odd shaped image as compared below. 

Winter Gardens_7.7.14 Winter Gardens_7.7.14

Again, this can work and I'm going to experiment editing them in Photoshop and look at different ways of presenting these odd shaped images.

Winter Gardens_7.7.14

The two photos below are my favourite from the day. Both work quite well with the halo and in the last photo it actually accentuates it. As I said before, it's a downside. One that you can work with but it does still create limits. 

Winter Gardens_7.7.14 Winter Gardens_7.7.14

I'm looking forward to experimenting with this adapter and cannot wait until Spring. There will be so much to photograph!

Rhiannon x

*This post is not paid and it all my own thoughts and opinions

No comments:

Post a Comment